If you've been hitting your head against the wall like me due to dvdbackup throwing "read error returned - padding 512 blocks" even if you've triple-checked that you have libdvdcss installed, then it might be due to your DVD drive not having its region set.
- Install regionset
$ regionset /dev/sr0 Current drive parameters for /dev/sr0: RPC Type: Phase II (Hardware) RPC Status: no region code set (bitmask=0xFF) Vendor may reset the RPC 4 times User is allowed change the region setting 5 times Would you like to change the region setting for this drive? [y/n]: y Enter the new region number for your drive [1..8]: 1 New RPC bitmask is 0xFB, ok? [y/n]: y Region code set successfully.
You can find the list of regions here: http://linvdr.org/projects/regionset/
- North America (USA and Canada)
- Europe, Middle East, South Africa and Japan
- Southeast Asia, Taiwan, Korea
- Latin America, Australia, New Zealand
- Former Soviet Union (Russia, Ukraine, etc.), rest of Africa, India
Thanks to the Archlinux forums for the enlightenment.